Professionals today face tremendous pressure from demanding clients. The news media frequently carry stories about large errors and omissions (E&O) claims brought against professionals who were "only trying to do their jobs".
Our CLC lawyers respect the hard work of our professional clients, and strive to protect their reputations while minimizing their financial exposure. We have experience in all aspects and phases of professional liability issues, ranging from risk management through to dispute resolution. We have represented professionals in numerous fields, including:
Accountants and Auditors
Insurance Agents and Brokers
The CLC independant lawyers act on a full range of matters that involve professional liability exposures, including those involving design, manufacturing, construction, inspection, and maintenance errors,pollution exposures, disciplinary procedures, quasi-criminal allegations, inquests,employment practices, and libel and slander. Some of our files involve class actionsthat are extremely complex, with highly technical issues, voluminous documentary productions, and extensive damage claims.
These lawyers also have given numerous “smell-the-coffee" seminars to our clients and professional organizations. We proactively assist in reviewing and drafting contract wordings and exculpatory clauses, and thereafter negotiate the wordings of contracts with the involved parties on given projects. We represent professionals in investigations and disciplinary hearings. Throughout, our skilled negotiators explore and utilize alternative dispute resolution (ADR) processes to minimize the financial, reputational, and time impact of these processes on our clients. Finally, we also assist insurers in drafting policy wordings, special endorsements, and exclusions for their various program coverages.
- Claim Struck and Action Dismissed: Integrity of the Judicial Process Upheld , August 21, 2017
- Auditor Held Liable in Negligence for Non-Clients' Losses - Case Comment: Lavender v. Miller Bernstein , August 10, 2017
- July 2017 The Oppression Remedy: Greater Risk of Personal Liability for Directors and Officers , July 26, 2017
- The Corporate Veil won't cover Personal Misrepresentations , January 20, 2017
- Featured Case: Summary Judgment in Third Party Claims Alive & Viable on Claims for Contribution & Indemnity , MB Newsletter, August 18, 2016
- Lights, camera, financial transaction , MB Client Newsletter, January 26, 2016
- When all is said and done: Final Releases , First presented at a Client Seminar, December 16, 2015
- Ontario Court of Appeal releases decision in expert evidence case , MB Newsletter, January 29, 2015
- Clearing the Path – The Availability of Summary Judgment , First presented at an MB Client Seminar, June 12, 2014
- Executive Officers are Employees: The "Gap" Between Workers' Compensation and General Liability Policies , MB Coverage Article Database, September 12, 2013
- Journalist-Confidential Source Privilege May Exist In Canada , First published Toronto Law Journal in Vol 5, No 7, Summer 2010 , June 01, 2010